Saturday, October 3, 2015

Erna's Potato Rice Soup


My mother made this soup quite often when I was a child and it is still one of my favorites.  It's great for picky eaters and especially wonderful when you are feeling under the weather.  My mom used canned broth or chicken bouillon cubes and water, however I prefer to make my own bone broth from the leftover carcass of a roasted chicken.  I also add poultry seasoning and rosemary to my version, because I think it adds complexity to the flavor, but these are optional.   

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, washed and diced
  • 4 to 6 cups chicken broth, (homemade bone broth is best)
  • 1/2 cup white rice
  • 2 to 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning (optional)
  • a dash of ground rosemary or 1 small fresh sprig (optional)
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • Parmesan cheese, grated, such as Kraft brand
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large stockpot, melt the butter. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Saute until the onions turn translucent.
  2. Add the broth, poultry seasoning and rosemary. Bring to a boil.
  3. Add the potatoes and the rice. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes just until the rice is soft and the potatoes are tender. Add more broth if necessary.
  4. If you used a fresh sprig of rosemary, remove and discard before serving.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by Sarah Zenk (adapted from Erna Mae Loveland's recipe)
Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 20 min Total time: 40 minutes Yield: 4-6 bowls

No comments:

Post a Comment